Sunday 13 April 2014

Tomato Masala Rice



Funny story about this recipe. I was very hungry so I told my mom that I was going to cook a super simple tomato rice that cooks in under 10 minutes, (the recipe of which I will share in a later post). Midway assembling the ingredients I felt adventurous and came up with this recipe instead and my mom was like, "And where did your hunger go now?" I could only flash a grin!
Give this recipe a shot when you don't have many veggies at hand for a colorful pulao. All you need is tomatoes! 

P.S. I am a rice-monger and this is just the first of many rice recipes to come.

Tomato Masala Rice
Ingredients:

Rice, soaked in water for half an hour- 1 cup
Tomato, chopped- 3 medium
Garlic, chopped- 3-4 cloves
Black pepper seeds- 2 tsp
Bay leaf- 1
Red chilly powder- 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp
Oil
Salt to taste

Recipe:

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.

When heated, add bay leaf, black pepper seeds.

Add chopped garlic, saute till fragrant.

Add chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook till tomatoes become soft.

Let cool.

Grind to a fine paste.

Heat 3 tbsp oil in  a pressure cooker.

When heated, add cumin seeds.

Add tomato paste.

Add red chilly powder, garam masala powder.

Mix well and let cook on low flame till the raw smell of tomatoes is completely gone.

Add soaked rice.

Mix well and fry for 3-4 minutes with occasional stirring.

Add sufficient water.

Add salt.

Pressure cook the rice.

When the pressure is released, open the cooker, lightly mix rice and serve hot with your favorite raita/curd.


3 comments: