Thursday 14 August 2014

Vegetable Salad with Creamy Cumin-Yogurt Dressing




Over a conversation a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine said that she loves salads and asked me to post a vegetable salad recipe. A vision of a beautiful, colourful salad started forming in my head. I agreed to her request and told her that I will post a salad recipe soon. A couple of hours later I realised that heavy rainfall in the past week had flooded the bridges and blocked the roads in and out of town, due to which the markets in my region were not being supplied fresh vegetables; so a salad was out of question. Besides I do not get fancy vegetables like bell peppers, red cabbage, zucchini etc. in the small town where I live. Anyhow, these restrictions weren't going to deter me. I was already committed to preparing a salad and wasn't ready to make-do with what I had.

I texted my cousin who lives in the capital city of our state of Chhattisgarh and asked her if she was free on  a day this week. Luckily she had a day off. She asked what I wanted to do and I told her I wanted to buy vegetables. She went all "LOL"! So we set up a plan for yesterday and took a train in the morning to Raipur. Buying vegetables wasn't going to take all day so we watched a movie, had lunch, window shopped and moved about town. She took me to a market where I bought all the fresh and fancy vegetables I wanted and also went eye balling and hoarding food props to photograph my food in. This is what I call work plus fun. Lucky for me, she too loves cooking so she did't think I was crazy! Hey, am I putting ideas in your head? Trust me, I am not crazy.

This is today's salad story and it has a happy ending.
This salad is fairly easy to put together, (once you have all the vegetables at hand, that is). You can easily adjust the proportions of vegetables used depending on what you like and also add others and skip any you want. The real deal in this salad is the dressing. The creamy subtle sweetness this dressing adds is what makes me want this salad more and more. Wait, it gets better! You only need three ingredients for this dressing, all available in your kitchen.



I hope my friend and you guys will like this salad. Now I am going to have some more of it.
Ciao until next post. Happy eating!

P.S. Here are a few links I sent my friend for salad recipes for the meantime. Check them out. They look gorgeous and yum.
Chinese Cucumber Salad from Kalyn's Kitchen
Moroccan Carrot Salad from Family-Friends-Food by Helen
Quick and Easy Lentil Yogurt Salad from Coconut and Berries by Emma

Ingredients:

Shredded cabbage- 2 cups
Shredded red cabbage- 1 cup
Shredded carrot- 1 cup
Cucumber, seeds removed, thinly sliced length wise- 1 medium
Cherry tomatoes- 7-8 nos, halved
Few sprigs of fresh mint leaves, chopped.

For dressing
Yogurt- 1 cup
Roasted ground cumin- 1/2 tsp
Sugar- 3-4 tbsp

Recipe:

Mix all vegetables in a salad bowl.

Prepare dressing by beating together yogurt, cumin and sugar till sugar dissolves.

Start with a lesser amount of sugar, taste and adjust according to your liking.

Add a couple of tsp of dressing per salad serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment