Tuesday 16 September 2014

Veg Hakka Noodles



Hello folks! It's been a while.

Today I bring to you a brightly colored, mildly flavored recipe- Veg Hakka Noodles.



But before we get going with the recipe, I want to let you guys in on the reason for my long absence. Last month has been an exciting one for me as I was busy forming a group of cooking and food enthusiasts in my small town area (actually 80 km away from my town, I travel there for meetings and activities) where a search on interest specific group activities will draw you out a blank. I met with the owner of a popular hangout place,Nukkad, The Teafe, and explained to him my desire and reason to form such a group. He enthusiastically agreed to collaborate and we had our first meet 2 weeks back which was attended by 20 people. We had a fun potluck lunch party last Sunday and will meet soon again.I am much thrilled to bring this culture in my region and it's the support of the group members that it has been possible. All of us have become friends, and as I write this, the rest are having fun at the birthday party of a group member.




Coming back to our noodles now.

Aah! The pain I feel when I see Chinese noodles being killed in our country; on the streets, in the restaurants. The subtlety of flavors, the very essence of the dish is brutally butchered and then served dripping with oil and cheap ketchup. To people who do this, here's my question. How would you feel if the Chinese made the very spicy Misal Pav their way? It'd hurt, right?

So in keeping with that and not wanting to hurt anybody, I give this simple recipe for Veg Hakka Noodles to you.



By sheer luck I saved a few of these fresh spring onions before my mom could chop all of it to prepare it with split Bengal gram for lunch.



And I found these fresh garlic pods in the big vegetable market when I went to the city for our potluck party. (Yes! I hoard vegetables whenever I go to the city.)



I had all the bell peppers I needed, cabbage, sauces, noodles. Really, this post was destined to happen today!

This recipe is for one serving.
Please read tips at the end of the post before beginning.

Ingredients:

Noodles- 1 cup, boiled as per package instructions
Mixed bell peppers- 1/2 cup, thinly sliced
Some shredded cabbage
Half a red onion- sliced
Garlic pods- 2, finely chopped
Spring onion bulbs- 2, sliced
Spring onion shoots- for garnish, chopped
Soy sauce- 1/2-1 tbsp
Green Chilly sauce- 1 tbsp
White vinegar- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
A pinch of freshly ground pepper
Oil- 2 tbsp

Recipe:

Heat oil in a wok.

Add sliced onion. Saute for 30 seconds.

Add garlic. Saute for another 30 seconds.

Add shredded cabbage, bell peppers, sliced spring onion bulbs, sauces, vinegar, salt and pepper.

Saute for a minute and not too long otherwise the vegetables will lose their crunch.

Now add noodles and toss gently to coat and mix.

Garnish with chopped spring onion shoots.

Tips:

After boiling noodles, drain and wash with cold water. This helps in removing excess starch and prevents noodles from sticking to each other. It prevents overcooking of noodles.

Do not overcook the vegetables.

Do not overdo the sauces.

Use only little oil.


No comments:

Post a Comment