Friday 9 May 2014

Masala Stuffed Okra



If someone asked me to write an essay on Okra on a silly dare, I would secretly thank my stars and gladly indulge whilst only pretending to ridicule the challenge so people don't think I am some crazy Okraphiliac (I wonder if that's a thing). I would probably begin with, "Fair Okra! I loveth thee so.." (Studying literarure is really getting into my head) and go on to include the names of countless friends who equally love Okra (aka other probable Okraphiliacs) and end with thanking the Lord for making Okra available almost through out the year so we don't have to pine away in separation!

Ok! I agree! Fair amount of exaggeration involved. But in my defence, I was trying to make a point.

Truly, Okra/ Lady's Finger/ Bhindi is a much loved vegetable of most Indians (few who do not like it, I do not know how they live with themselves). It is prepared in a variety of manners, stir fry with onions, curried, fried or stuffed like this recipe here in this post. 

Masala Stuffed Okra

I especially like these stuffed Okra. My roommate in Gurgaon would always keep asking me to prepare this at least once a week. Yea! We love it!

So let's get on with the recipe, shall we?

Ingredients:
1/2 kg okra
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chilly powder
3-4 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp amchur (dried mango) powder
1 tsp anardana (pomegranate seed) powder
salt to taste
Oil

Recipe:
Wash and dry okra thoroughly. Try to use smaller sized Okra for this recipe.

Make a deep slit along the length of each okra with a knife.

Mix all powdered ingredients and salt together.

Stuff okra with this powder mix.



Heat enough oil in pan. Add stuffed okra to the pan and mix to coat evenly with oil.

Cook uncovered on medium flame for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. The okra will start turning darker in color as it cooks.

Serve as side dish with chapatis or parathas.



                                        


1 comment: