Tuesday 19 August 2014

Homemade Apple Sauce Recipe





I have known this for quite a while now but today I am going to declare this officially. I love everything cinnamon. And do not even get me started about the bliss, that apple with cinnamon is! With this fondness, what do you do when juicy fresh apples are thrown in your lap. Don't worry, it's an easy one. You make an apple sauce that packs in the flavours which make you go "wheee" every time they cross your mind. Trust me, "wheee" is the word for me!

So it happened that two evenings ago, I saw these beautiful red apples at the fruit market. Needless to say, I bought some. Now to be completely honest, I am not a big fan of the apple itself. So I decided to make this apple sauce and what better than to add cinnamon to it. It always amazes me how the simplest of recipes turn out to be the most delish! This apple sauce recipe is one of those simple recipes.

This sauce goes well with French toasts, in a sandwich, and you can try various dessert combinations with it. It makes a wonderful 'gift in a jar' too for your loved ones and is an absolute party pleaser as a dip.

Ingredients:

Apples- 1 kg
Sugar- 2/3-1 cup
Cinnamon sticks- 2 nos
Lemon juice- 4-5 tbsp
Water

Recipe:

Peel, core and quarter apples.

Take a heavy bottomed pan and put apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice in with with just enough water to keep apples from sticking to the surface. 

Cover and bring to a boil.

Uncover and let cook on simmer for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender. You can add more water if the apples start sticking to the bottom of the pan.

When cooked, mash with a potato masher. This way some chunks remain. If you like your sauce smooth, let it cool down and run in a blender.

Keep in a sterilised jar with an airtight lid.


No comments:

Post a Comment