Wednesday 17 September 2014

Water Chestnuts and Green Beans Salad



Lately, I have been drawn into making salads and this Water Chestnuts and Green Bean salad in today's post is a testimony to my increasing love for salads. And if it wasn't for the aforementioned love, I would have popped these superbly fresh water chestnuts just as they were.



I spotted these fresh water chestnuts on way home from an errand in the vegetable market today. I bought a whole kilo of it. As soon as I reached home, I peeled out a few (or may be more) and relished the subtle sweetness and watery crunch that makes it a favorite of many. While I was buying these, a kid asked his mom what these bull-face shaped things were called? Wouldn't you agree? These do look like bull-faces with horns!



I set about peeling these I found them to be really tender, fresh and sweet. It is important that you buy the smaller-medium size water chestnuts since the bigger ones tend to get harder and bland and wouldn't taste so well in a salad. 




As I kept thinking what could I use these for while sneaking a couple of them in between peeling, I decided on a salad. After all salads had been hovering over my head and so it's no surprise that they sucked in the water chestnuts too.



I did not want to mangle the flavors too much, so I have kept it pretty simple and added only steamed green beans. The colors and flavors of both complement each other really well. I think the watery crunch of cucumbers will be a great addition to this salad. Well, may be next time.

Ingredients: 

Fresh water chestnuts, peeled and sliced- 1 cup
Steamed green beans, cut into 2-3 inch pieces- 1 cup
Unsalted butter- 1 tbsp
Salt, crushed pepper, chilly flakes to taste
A dollop of mayonnaise (optional)


Recipe: 

Melt butter in a pan. When frothed, switch off heat.

Add steamed beans to the butter and stir to coat.

In a salad bowl, place sliced water chestnuts. Transfer buttered green beans to the bowl.

Sprinkle salt, pepper and chilly flakes. 

Toss lightly to mix and serve with a dollop of mayonnaise per serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment