Sunday 23 November 2014

Apple Cinnamon Smoothie



I don't drink tea in the morning, like most Indians do. I don't drink coffee in the morning, like most Americans do. And I stay miles away from drinking milk too, during any time of the day. So last week when I was supposed to catch an early morning train home after I had stayed the night at my aunt's in another town, she didn't know what to make me have before I left. I told her that I didn't need anything and that eating so early in the morning makes me kind of sick. But she would hear none of it. She wanted me to have parathas of all things! After some more resistance from my side, finally she sternly asked me to wait for 5 minutes and then have whatever she gave me without speaking a word, or she wouldn't let me go. I had no choice but to oblige.

And was I glad I did! As I waited, all I heard was a blender whir in the background for only a few seconds and then a glass being placed on the kitchen counter. A moment later she appeared in front of me holding a tray with a glass full of what looked like milk to me from afar. I pulled a long face. I mean a really long face. And then she smiled and handed me the glass. I reluctantly took it and looked at what I thought was milk. It was then that I saw it wasn't milk. Well, I mean there was milk in it but it was a smoothie. Made me a little happy. Then I took a sip. I was happier. It was an apple smoothie. I grinned at her. She looked smug.



I am not much for fruits or milk but together they are my thing. Having that apple smoothie then I decided to make this post. Now, my aunt's version was different than this one. It was a humble, delicious smoothie made of only apples and milk, some sugar may be. For mine, I decided to take it a level further.

Those who know me know that I love cinnamon. So it shouldn't be a surprise that I added cinnamon to my apple smoothie. Then there's vanilla. And that's about enough for and come to think of it , about a healthy breakfast apple cinnamon smoothie.

Here's the recipe. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

Full cream milk- 1 cup
Peeled and chopped apples- 1 cup
Sugar- 1 tbsp (optional)
Vanilla extract- 3-4 drops
Cinnamon powder- 1/2 tsp

Recipe:

Take all ingredients and blend together smooth,

Sprinkle some cinnamon powder.

Pour into a glass and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment