Sunday 16 November 2014

Clove Rice




It's Sunday afternoon and I am writing post lunch. A big, delicious, lazy Sunday lunch. To be honest, I feel like dozing off. This reminds me of my days back in college. The hostel mess had a fixed daily menu and on Sundays we got jeera rice and chhole with raita and a sweet of some kind. And I still harbour this suspicion that our Sunday lunches used to be spiked because as soon as we had lunch we would be engulfed by sleep. I mean it would take literally 10 minutes to fall asleep, no matter what time we woke up that morning and then we used to wake up as if from an unconscious state and sometimes with drool on the pillow.

Today my lunch was the same menu except for one item. I decided to go for my new favorite, clove rice. I love jeera rice but there were two reasons to make this switch today. One, I wanted a change in flavor and two, I wanted to share it with you guys.

Rice is my weak spot and every now and then I want to do something with it that isn't too complex and does not involve a lot of labour. Decidedly, this clove rice has become my favorite rice with whole spices. It has a brilliant neat flavor and all with just one simple ingredient, cloves. Since Indian gravies are so rich and full of flavors, a clean and simple rice with a pronounced flavor is all it takes to make a complete meal. This clove rice is one such rice recipe that neither falls flat like plain rice nor does it overwhelm.



I have had this rice about 4-5 times now with a simple dal, palak paneer, once with plain curd and today with chhole. Every time I have found that this rice complements everything so well that there's no scope to complain. Apart from the flavor itsef, my content might have to do something with the fact that it breaks the dull monotony of jeera rice in my meal. Whatever the reasons, I am truly fond of this rice and recommend you try this for your next Sunday lunch or whenever you please.

My eyes are droopy, I am definitely going to sleep after this.



Ingredients:

Long grain rice- 2 cups, soaked in water for at least 20 minutes and drained
Ghee (clarified butter)- 2 tbsp
Bay leaf- 2 nos
Cloves- 10-12 nos
Green chillies, slit- 2 nos
Salt to taste
Water for cooking

Recipe:

Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.

Add bay leaves and cloves. Wait 5 seconds.

Add rice and stir well to coat with ghee. Add slit green chillies.

Keep flame low and fry for 4-6 minutes with frequent stirring.

Add sufficient water and salt. Stir.

Put on the lid and cook on high flame for 2 whistles,

Let pressure release before opening the lid.

Mix gently to loosen rice grains.

Serve hot with gravy of choice.

Tip:

Warm water before adding to rice. It prevents sticking of rice grains to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment