Friday 1 August 2014

Vegetarian Jordanian Oozie




This Jordanian Oozie recipe that I am sharing today is truly from Jordan, with love. I cannot emphasize enough how much including this recipe in my Featured Recipes on Friendship Week series means to me coz the sender of this recipe is too close to my heart.

Kamini and I met when I opened the door at 4 a.m to let her in the house. No, she wasn't wearing high heels and wasn't drunk! She had got back from Dubai that morning and I was her new roommate.
She and I bonded so much so soon that her then fiance, now her husband and dad of her kid was shocked when he realized over a conversation that Kamini and I had met just a few months ago. She is my elder sister, friend and guide who tirelessly advises me to save money, describes to me the benefits of meditation and who keeps telling me that my hair is pretty and I am stupid to not think so and all of this over skype now since she moved to Jordan after getting married.

That's them!


Kamini sent me this delicious Oozie recipe which she learned from her mother-in-law in Jordan. Oozie is a popular rice dish in Palestinian cuisine which is made with chicken or meat but we have made this recipe vegetarian.





Ingredients: 

Rice- 1 cup
Soya chunks- 1/2 cup
Carrots, diced- 1 cup
Onions. sliced- 1/2 cup
Peas- 1/2 cup
Fresh orange juice- 1cup
Bay leaves- 2 nos
Black peppercorns- 1/2 tsp
Black cardamom- 4 nos
Cloves- 2-3 nos
Biryani Masala- 2 tsp
Toasted, sliced almonds- 1/2 cup
Oil- 3-4 tbsp

Recipe:

Wash and soak rice in water 20 minutes. Drain and soak in orange juice.

Wash and boil soya chunks. Drain and keep aside.

Heat oil in a pressure cooker.

Add bay leaves, cardamom. black peppercorns and cloves. Fry for 20 seconds.

Add onions and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add carrots and peas. Fry another 3-4 minutes.

Add cooked soya cunks.

Add biryani masala. Fry for a minute.

Add hot water sufficient to cook rice.

Drain rice and add.

Pressure cook rice for one whistle.

Remove from heat and let sit in steam for 10 minutes.

Dish out rice in a serving plate and top with toasted almonds.

Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment